1864 – 150 ago Jakob Küchle registered his wafer paper bakery at the trade licensing office in the Swabia-based Memmingen. In doing so the founder not only laid the foundation for the wafer paper production of the Küchle Company, but also for the success story of the established company as it is today. After the death of Jakob Küchle in 1876 his son Karl took over the business. Jakob’s brother Christof Küchle went his own way and married into the Malzfabrik Stuber and Krieger in Günzburg. In 1908 his son took over the production site in the Bahnhofstraße.
Both companies then had to face unforeseen challenges. The First World War cast its shadow over their development years. The soldier Wilhelm Küchle was hit with both misfortune and luck: After a fire in his company he was given special leave and was in safety when his army unit was attacked. After the war Wilhelm and his bother Hermann specialized in the production of chicory coffee which replaced the “real coffee” in many households. From 1925 the company was then run under the name of C. Küchle u. Söhne GmbH. The Golden Twenties brought an economic boom. In 1926 Karl Küchle retired in Memmingen. Wilhelm and Hermann took over the wafer paper production from their cousin and relocated the production to Günzburg. From 13 August 1930 the entry in the commercial register bore the name W. u. H. Küchle GmbH.
On 19 April 1945 however Second World War took a heavy toll on the production site in Günzburg. As the nearby railway station was bombed the production site also suffered some severe hits. Production could no longer be continued. But despite the initial lack of material operation could be resumed in the autumn of 1945: The first wafers in the new era of peace were baked.
With peace – and the new currency – prosperity entered Germany. 1953 Bruno Küchle became the head of the company which was now experiencing a particularly dynamic development: In 1959 the first prototype of an automatic wafer baking machine was taken into operation, the bulk storage terminal was built in 1966 and in1970 the power generation was converted from coal to oil. In the following years the company also took over most of its competitors.
Over the course of the years several more products emerged alongside the traditional baking wafers. As early as the 1930s the confectionary trade could count on “susta” the patented protection against soggy cake bottoms and on the patented whipped cream stabilizer “susan“. In 1964, the year in which the company celebrated its 100th anniversary, the company launched the first whipped cream stabilizer for the final customer on the market. With its instant glaze, juice stop, edible baking cups, sponge perfect, cake and dessert cream fillings and large variety of baking mixes Küchle satisfied its customers in accordance with the motto: Easy to handle and quick to use.
Today the W. u. H. Küchle GmbH & Co. KG is a fourth-generation family-run business, since Christof Küchle became managing director in 1993. Consistent quality is top priority for him – which becomes apparent in the the certification in accordance with the “International Food Standard“. Together with about one hundred staff members Christof Küchle ensures that the brand not only remains market leader for classic wafer paper products but also launches new young wafer paper products on the market. Best examples for this are the Hello Kitty and Emoji baking mixes. They are a mega hit among the kids.